This is a spectacular, authentic Huipil from Chajul, Quiche Guatemala.
Vintage and hand-woven on a back-strap loom with 100% cotton, in an Olympic Blue base. Wear it with denim or linen pants for a casual picnic day in the sun, or spice it up with a skirt and boots for a fun night out on the town! Either way you wear it, heads will turn towards your boho-stylish self.
One of our top sellers, Chajul blouses are known for their hand-embroidered "spirit animal" tribal figures that look like hieroglyphics that are hand-embroidered along with Mayan symbols in horizontal rows to create gorgeous, one-of-a-kind textiles.
This stunning Huipil has a woven-embroidered design of the Mayan Bird Tz'ikin: The Tz'ikin bird is associated with freedom, creativity, and spiritual guidance. It is often associated with artists, musicians, and visionaries.
Great piece to add to your ethical wardrobe!
*Please review measurements below to ensure proper fit. All sales are final.
Measurements on flat surface: Sizes are a "fits like" guide and not a standard measurement
- This top feels like a XL - but can easily be worn like a L
- Bust (armpit to armpit): 27.5" inches wide
- Length: 21" inches long
- This Huipil is closed at the sides
Condition: Great vintage condition with a some loose threads and wear. The bottom part has some loose threads but does not affect the structure of the blouse. Note: there's a small orange embroidery towards the bottom of the blouse that the original owner did to patch up two small holes. These do not affect the structure of the blouse; it just gives it an extra vintage flair!
- This vintage Huipil was personally purchased by Angelica, founder of Tesoros Maya. This Huipil was ethically sourced and the artisan was paid fair price.
- Please note: The entire piece is genuine hand woven and hand embroidered. Many Huipiles are now embroidered using sewing machine which can also be referred to as 'hand made'. This piece is made entirely without the use of machine.
- This Huipil was 100% handmade from beginning to end; therefore naturally there will be some imperfections. You could see some loose threads, DO NOT pull just snip with scissors.
- For a better care, we recommend hand wash
- Dry flat